Salary from £55,171 to £63,883 pa inclusive with potential to progress to £70,790 pa inclusive of London allowance
The London School of Economics is on a journey to define the next generation in solutions for its 14,000 staff and students, maintaining its internal bespoke applications whilst also seeking opportunities to use development and data frameworks and platforms for the agile delivery of its applications and data.
The Head of Data and Development is responsible for defining and implementing the School’s approach to software development, data integration and system testing. They will also provide line management to the Data and Development Team comprising Software Developers, Integration Specialists and Analysts, Test Specialists and Analysts, Data Analysts, and Business Intelligence Specialists.
Working as part of the Solutions and Partnering Group, the Data and Development Team delivers bespoke software solutions, integration of COTS (customised off the shelf) and SaaS (software as a service) applications and supports colleagues across the LSE in their development and use of data and insight applications using tools such as Tableau. The post holder will manage the full development lifecycle for the design, development, testing, and deployment of solutions.
The Head of Data and Development’s outputs will include:
- Defining the School’s approach to software development, data integration, and system testing.
- Delivering a business case for a step change in the DTS approach to data and system integration.
- Working with projects to ensure that the appropriate technical approaches are taken.
- Implementing and managing manual and automated testing frameworks.
- Delivering continuous improvement to a portfolio of existing applications and services.
In return, we offer:
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- A modern approach to flexible working
- Generous annual leave
- Occupational pension scheme
DTS is supporting the LSE 2030 strategy through programmes of transformation and change covering integration, data standards, identity management, and the removal of legacy applications and technical debt, all within an objective to make greater use of Platforms and Cloud services. The Data and Development Manager will be a key role in progressing the work of these programmes.
- Demonstrate solid understanding of the importance and value of effective testing in the development process, with practical experience of defining and implementing testing strategies and approaches.
- Have knowledge and ideally experience of working with commodity Cloud services e.g. AWS or Azure.
- Have knowledge and awareness of cyber security and data protection policies.
- Have experience of actively seeking engagement with colleagues across an organisation to understand priorities, issues, and concerns.
- Have experience of delivering or facilitating workshops or training sessions to share knowledge and understanding.
For further information about the post, please see the how to apply document, job description and the person specification.
To apply for this post, please go to https://jobs.lse.ac.uk. If you have any technical queries with applying on the online system, please use the “contact us” links at the bottom of the LSE Jobs page. Should you have any queries about the role, please email email@example.com
The closing date for receipt of applications is Sunday 5th June 2022 (23.55 UK time). Regrettably, we are unable to accept any late applications.