About the team/job
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest-ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany) and further Units are situated Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK), Rome (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).
EMBL Grenoble shares the European Photon and Neutron Science (EPN) Campus with the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF), the Institut Laue Langevin (ILL) and the French national Institut de Biologie Structurale (IBS), whose complementary and integrated facilities provide a very rich environment for structural biologists.
EMBL is seeking to recruit a Lab Manager in the Head of Unit’s Research Group at EMBL Grenoble, Prof. Kristina Djinovic Carugo. The Djinovic group is interested in the molecular mechanisms underlying the architecture and assembly of muscle sarcomeres, particular Z-discs and microbial metalloenzymes involved in complete ammonium oxidation and protection from chemical damage. We use integrative structural biology methods including X-ray crystallography, small-angle X-ray scattering, electron microscopy and complementary biophysical and biochemical approaches on proteins and reconstituted complexes. The group shares expertise and research infrastructures with other EMBL research groups in Grenoble.
The Lab Manager will be involved in organization of the laboratory and will contribute to scientific projects in the lab.
- Participate in ongoing scientific projects involving cloning, protein expression in bacteria, insect and mammalian cell lines, protein purification, biochemical and biophysical characterization of proteins and protein complexes.
- You will design, perform and troubleshoot experiments in an independent manner, and preferably lead own research project.
- Test of new experimental approaches and projects in their start-up phase.
Supervision and training
- Train new group members and visitors in using the lab’s equipment, spaces, databases, software resources etc. as well as in technologies/techniques commonly used in the lab.
- Test new tools, reagents and equipment; establish and improve experimental protocols.
- Supervise trainees, visitors and students.
- General laboratory management, including administration of reagent databases, instrument maintenance and, space organization of the laboratory and the office.
- Serve as an interface between EMBL’s service departments (building maintenance, scientific instrument maintenance, workshops, and core facilities) and the research Group.
- Interfacing with scientists and research technicians in other Units.
- Support Group and Unit staff at the level of Unit organisation.
- Experience as a research technician/lab manager/research scientist with relevant education and strong expertise in molecular biology, molecular biophysics and biochemistry.
- Broad technical, organizational, interpersonal and management skills and exceptional reliability.
- Good knowledge of software applications for inventory, writing reports and presentations are also mandatory.
- In a multi-lingual environment, excellent command of English is mandatory.
You might also have
- Previous experience in use of biophysical instrumentation and sample preparation for structural studies or any structural biology technique will be an advantage.
- Fluency in French and other European languages would be an advantage.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1900 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research. Please note that appointments on fixed-term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Initial contract is for 3 years with a possibility of renewal up to 9 years.
Please compile an application package containing:
- Letter of interest
- Your CV
- Contact details for two references
Interviews are planned for after the 6th July 2022.
Prospective start date: as soon as possible.
Further information about this position can be obtained from the Head of EMBL Grenoble, Kristina Djinovic Carugo (email@example.com).