Preloader

Joey Chestnut is champ again in July 4 hot dog-eating contest

Joey “Jaws” Chestnut gobbled his way to a 15th win on Monday at the Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July hot dog-eating contest in New York, powering down 63 hot dogs and buns at the annual exhibition of excess. n a decisive comeback, women’s record-holder Miki Sudo downed 40 hot dogs and buns to win the women’s title after skipping last year’s competition because she was pregnant. A spectator wearing a Darth Vader mask rushed the stage, momentarily disrupting the competition. Chestnut, 38, from Indiana, put the protester in a brief chokehold before contest officials hurried over and escorted the intruder away. Close Joey Chestnut arrives at the Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July hot dog eating contest (Julia Nikhinson/AP) Joey Chestnut arrives at the Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July hot dog eating contest (Julia Nikhinson/AP) Monday marked the contest’s return to its traditional location outside Nathan’s flagship shop in Brooklyn’s Coney Island neighbourhood in New York. The event was relocated in 2020 and last year because of the coronavirus pandemic. “It’s beautiful to be back here,” Chestnut said after his feat, which he managed while wearing a surgical boot because of a leg injury. “It hurts, but I was in the zone for a little bit. I was ignoring it,” said Chestnut, but the pain eventually slowed his pace in the 10-minute competition. Close Competitive eater Miki Sudo (Julia Nikhinson/AP) Competitive eater Miki Sudo (Julia Nikhinson/AP) Last year Chestnut topped his own record by consuming 76 hot dogs and buns. Sudo, 36, of Florida, set the women’s record at 48 and a half hot dogs and buns in 2020, before taking last year off . She said afterwards that she hoped he would some day take a message away from it. “I want to set an example,” she said, “to do things that you love and push yourself to your absolute limits and, when things get difficult, to still give it a try. And, you know, you might actually just come out victorious.” In conjunction with the spectacle, Nathan’s donates 100,000 hot dogs to the Food Bank for New York City.

Read More

Amber Heard requests verdict in Johnny Depp defamation trial be overturned

Amber Heard has requested that a US judge overturn the verdict against her multi-million dollar defamation case with Johnny Depp and order a new trial. he Aquaman star, 36, says the decision returned on June 1 in favour of Mr Depp was not supported by the evidence presented during the six-week trial. In documents seen by the PA news agency, Ms Heard’s lawyers also argue that investigations should be made into “improper juror service”. Mr Depp sued his former partner over a 2018 article she wrote for the Washington Post about her experiences as a survivor of domestic abuse, which his lawyers said falsely accused him of being an abuser. “The verdict is excessive as a matter of law in light of the evidence and law, and should be set aside,” the documents stated. “For all the reasons set forth above, and for the reasons set forth on the record during the hearings and at trial, in the Motions in Limine and Motions to Strike, Ms Heard respectfully requests this Court to set aside the jury verdict in favor of Mr Depp and against Ms Heard in its entirety, dismiss the complaint, or in the alternative, order a new trial. Close Mr Depp sued his former partner over a 2018 article she wrote for the Washington Post about her experiences as a survivor of domestic abuse (Owen Humphreys/PA) Mr Depp sued his former partner over a 2018 article she wrote for the Washington Post about her experiences as a survivor of domestic abuse (Owen Humphreys/PA) “Ms Heard further requests this Court to investigate potential improper juror service and take appropriate action warranted by the results of the investigation.” The actress’ lawyers claim that one of the jurors during the trial was not properly vetted by the court and that information was “inconsistent”. “The information on the jury panel list appears to be inconsistent with the identity and demographics of one of the Jurors,” the document, signed by Ms Heard’s lawyer Elaine Bredehoft, states. “Juror No 15 was apparently born in 1970, not 1945, as reported to and relied upon by the parties – including Ms Heard – in selecting a jury panel.” The filing added that the damages awarded to Mr Depp following the verdict, which total 15 million dollars, were “excessive” and “indefensible”. Video of the Day The sum was subsequently reduced by judge Penney Azcarate to 350,000 dollars under a state cap. Ms Bredehoft previously vowed that Ms Heard would appeal the decision in the lawsuit and that she has “excellent grounds” to do so, saying that there was “so much” evidence that was not included during the trial. Mr Depp said he felt “at peace” and was “truly humbled” after winning the lawsuit, adding that his decision to pursue the case “was only made after considerable thought” and his goal was to “reveal the truth, regardless of the outcome”.

Read More

Love Island best bits: Are famous peeps just booking their kids into Love Island like summer camp? Plus, Dami’s dramatic fall from grace

And there we thought it'd be Ronan Keating's second-born, model Missy, that would've sashayed into the villa at some point. Who knows, that may still happen; especially as it doesn't appear Jack is tickling any of the girls' fancies in Casa Amor, despite him being one of the more likable, genuine souls rocking around in there. His Gaelic hue – which serves to highlight the flow of that tattoo – unfortunately won't be appreciated given their preoccupation with all-over body tans and dark hair. Still, one can dream... We need your consent to load this Social Media content We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content. Manage Preference With the offspring of three rather famous people in the villa thus far this year, just how many noted name droppers have graced Love Island over the years? Well, not that many to be fair. Five in total. We had Dani Dyer in 2018, much to her father Danny's despair (on the upside, she did go on to win alongside Jack Fincham's epic teef). Then, in 2019, actor Tamer Hassan's daughter Bella arrived as a Casa Amor Bombshell, hooking up with Anton Danyluk. While Belle, Dani, Gemma, and recently departed Bombshell Antigone (daughter of celeb TV chef Tonia Buxton) remained largely tight-lipped about their connections (particularly when they first arrived; although Antigone was only there a wet week), the same can't quite be said for Jack, who was quick to inform Gemma that he knows what it's like to have a famous father. As for what he said during their exchange on last night's show? Well, you can read all about that here. What I can tell you is that Ronan wasn't best pleased with his son initially describing him as "retired" during their poolside tete-a-tete. Speaking on The One Show earlier this evening, Ronan said he "almost fell off the chair" when he heard Jack's declaration. Raunchy Races; where glandular fever has a field day... There's not much to share about this, to be honest, apart from spare a thought for these hot young things; they spent the guts of two years not being permitted to be in the presence of anyone but their families and now they're being asked to "snog all six members of the opposite sex." Still, the OG girls in Casa Amor won overall, which made Twitter very happy. We need your consent to load this Social Media content We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content. Manage Preference Dami and Andrew have a dalliance on the terrace... Not together, more's the pity. While the giddles being whisked away to Casa Amor in a clandestine fashion made for a refreshing change, leaving the boys to pack their little suitcases with care, it was business as usual when it came to the new dynamics. By that I mean the girls are enjoying the view but not sampling the wares (outside of Raunchy Races, so far), while their partners are horsing into everything available. Why? Pan-generational patriarchial double standards coupled with toxic masculinity, innit. The two guys arguably in the more "committed" couplings – that being Dami and Indiyah, plus Andrew and Tasha – both brought new girls to the terrace for an illicit tongue lashing in tonight's show. And to say Twitter isn't happy would be something of an understatement. No one really gives a fiddlers about Andrew kissing Coco; some would wager he deserves to exert some independence after being put through the wringer thanks to Tasha being in demand whenever a new boy arrives. In his mind, and by what he's been hearing from the new girls, Tasha has been making him look like a mug and is definitely considering her options. Andrew might be reconsidering his choice of replacement in light of Coco's revelation to Davide earlier in the day. We need your consent to load this Social Media content We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content. Manage Preference Meanwhile, Twitter was collectively livid and utterly aghast at the notion Dami would ditch bona fide Queen Indiyah so quickly, and even more fuming with Davide suggesting that he could "upgggrrrraydah her". We need your consent to load this Social Media content We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content. Manage Preference Video of the Day Luca hits a nerve... Just when you thought Dami's descent from Twitter grace couldn't be more swift, in tonight's final act, he only went and managed to make Luca of all people look like a reasonable sort – which is absolute MADNESS. We need your consent to load this Social Media content We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content. Manage Preference By way of context; the boys in the main villa were having a post lipsing conflab which culminated in Dami having a go at Luca, calling him "fake". Why? Because Luca said Dami should give Summer cuddles in his bed, and tried nudging Jacques to agree with him, so Dami said: "Yeah, stop egging other people on, man. “I know you wanna win this show... What’s wrong with you? Just be real for once.” Classic projection, ladies and gennulmen. Luca's response was rather astute, pointing out that Dami was lashing out because he felt bad about his decision to kiss Summer. We need your consent to load this Social Media content We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content. Manage Preference I dunno, Davide wore the face off Coco (she had a busy night) and Molly (who he's now sharing a bed with), Andrew decided to sample seconds with Coco, and then Dami kissed Summer. Well, you know, they ARE being tested. When you think about it, it's the noble and valiant thing to do when beset with the challenge of new girls. Like, how are they going to know if they like them or not WITHOUT kissing all of them. Poor lambs. Like Andrew keeps saying "We're all boys here." Fact. Overall vibe… We need your consent to load this Social Media content We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content. Manage Preference Key takeaway… We need your consent to load this Social Media content We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content. Manage Preference Love Island returns on Tuesday tonight at 9pm on Virgin Media Two and Virgin Media Player

Read More

Pat Ryan to succeed Kieran Kingston as Cork senior hurling team manager

Cork County GAA Executive will propose the appointment of Pat Ryan as Cork Senior Hurling manager, for ratification at Tuesday night's County Committee meeting for July in Páirc Uí Chaoimh. he Sarsfields club man will be proposed for a three-year term, with selectors to be named at a later date. Ryan will take over from Kieran Kingston who announced on Sunday afternoon that he would be stepping away as senikor team manage A winner of Munster and All Ireland senior hurling medals in 1999, Ryan had earlier won Munster and All Ireland U-21 medals in 1998, as well as a National League medal in 1997. Having won two county titles with Sarsfields as a player in 2008 and 2010, he managed his home club to further victories in 2012 and 2014. Ryan served as a senior selector and coach under Kingston in 2016 and 2017, respectively, before returning as Cork U-20 hurling manager in 2020 and 2021 when he guided the county to Munster and All Ireland titles in consecutive seasons. He has also served on various committees over the same period, making a significant contribution to the club championship reforms of recent years. In welcoming the appointment, Cork GAA chairman Marc Sheehan said, "We are thrilled to have someone of Pat's calibre so ready to take up the significant mantle of Cork senior hurling manager. Having seen his management and coaching skills with our teams previously, I have no doubt that the development of our players is in safe hands." Cork GAA CEO, Kevin O'Donovan said: "Pat's appointment will be another clear example of our desire to provide a pathway to managers and coaches through both club and county systems. His record in both arenas speaks for itself and we look forward to him building on the significant work completed by the outgoing management team in the ongoing pursuit of Liam McCarthy." Ryan’s appointment, subject to ratification by club delegates, will come just over 48 hours after the announcement that Kingston would not be staying on as team manager. A statement from the county board said Cork GAA officers had been informed by Kingston that he would not be seeking a further term in the role. “All in Cork GAA wish to sincerely acknowledge Kieran's years of dedication across a whole range of positions, including the roles of player, selector, coach and of course, manager,” the statement said. “Having initially served as selector (2012-2013) and coach (2014) under Jimmy Barry-Murphy, Kieran was appointed manager for the 2016 and 2017 seasons, before returning in the same role for three further years, from 2020 to 2022. “Over that time, he has been present on the line, as selector and manager in 2013 and 2021, respectively, for Cork's only two All Ireland Senior Final appearances of the last sixteen years. He also coached and managed the team to Munster success in 2014 and 2017, respectively. “The incredible contribution of Kieran's backroom team over the past three years is also acknowledged and while the success that all deserved may not have followed, they can hold their heads high, knowing that they served their County well. Chairman Marc Sheehan said, "Kieran's commitment to his duties as Cork Senior Hurling manager knew no bounds and the time devoted in a voluntary capacity was immeasurable. He carried the role in a dignified manner at all times, fully understanding of the importance of his position. We wish him well in his future endeavours and have no doubt that he will continue to make a significant contribution to Cork Hurling long into the future." Cork CEO Kevin O'Donovan said, "Looking across the past decade, one has to recognise the indelible mark that Kieran has left on our Senior Hurling team, overseeing what has been a difficult transition at times, with the introduction of a whole wave of young and exciting talent. Indeed, there is no doubt that, given the number of players who made their debuts under Kieran, he departs safe in the knowledge that he has left Cork Hurling in a healthy state. We thank his family, particularly his wife Ellen, for their support also."

Read More

One Irish man dead and another is seriously injured in US as overturned car discovered on fire

One Irish man is dead and another is fighting for his life following a serious road accident near Portland, Oregon, early on Sunday. olice in Hillsboro, Oregon, confirmed that both the driver and a passenger involved in the accident are both adult Irish males who were working in the US. Other details about their ages, backgrounds and origins in Ireland are not available at this time. One of the occupants of the vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene while the other was rushed to hospital with what police described as potentially life-threatening injuries. The accident occurred around 4.30am on Sunday when police responded to a report of a vehicle that had rolled over on its roof and was on fire. Local media reported that police were able to remove one of the occupants, who was taken to a local hospital while the other occupant was deceased. A spokesman for the Hillsboro Police told Independent.ie an investigation into the accident is ongoing and the identities of the casualties have not been released as they attempt to notify next of kin. The cause of the accident is not known at this time. Hillsboro is the fifth largest city in the north-western American state and is home to many technology companies. The tragedy occurred just hours before the annual Fourth of July celebrations in the US on Monday.

Read More
Please wait...
user balance 2,099 / Points
Newbie

user badges

Groups

Group logo of Follow on Twitter
Follow on Twitter
Public Group
Group logo of Banzai Japan
Banzai Japan
Public Group

Media