The Rosalind Franklin Institute is a national Research Centre, funded by the UK government through UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), dedicated to bringing about transformative changes in life science through interdisciplinary research and technology.
The Franklin operates from a purpose-built research facility on the Harwell Campus, near Didcot. Our building houses both specialist laboratories, research scientists and operational staff within a state-of-the art facility designed to inspire our people in their work and create a welcoming hub for our collaborations and visitors. We also collaborate with several universities and industrial partners across the UK and internationally.
To support our expansion we are looking for an experienced Contracts Manager to implement agreements in support of our partnerships with a wide range of academic and industrial collaborators. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and experienced contracts manager to shape the way in which we interact with collaborators, tailor best practice to meet the needs of the Institute and manage key processes.
- Review, draft, and negotiate on a timely basis a broad range of research and research-related contracts independently and/or in collaboration with the Director of Strategic Marketing and Chief Operating Officer.
- Establish best practice to support the research teams to ensure an understanding of and compliance with contractual obligations
- Manage key internal and external stakeholder relationships
- Manage input and advice from external legal counsel, focusing on value for money
- Proactively maintain accurate contract activity records in the Franklin’s innovation management database
- Build templates and processes to support an efficient level of service
- Work across the broader Operations teams at the Rosalind Franklin Institute to contribute to and support other projects and activities as the need arises
Skills & Experience
- A proven track record of managing Life Sciences research contracts and collaboration agreements in the research services or technology transfer division of a leading university or legal department of a pharmaceutical/ biotech company
- Relevant degree or professional qualification or equivalent experience
- Extensive and up-to-date knowledge of contracting issues and best practice solutions in licensing intellectual property, academic and industrial collaborations, supplier contracts and related issues
- Experience in instructing and managing input from external lawyers
- Diplomatic and pragmatic with excellent customer relationship skills
- A problem-solver who is able to manage a portfolio of contracts and focus their work on driving priority agreements through to completion on a timely basis.
- Comfortable with a level of ambiguity and shows attention to detail and sound judgement in the face of competing demands
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) with the ability to articulate complex issues clearly and concisely to a wide audience of varying levels of knowledge and expertise
- Ability to work well independently and as part of multidisciplinary teams
- Diplomatic and pragmatic with rigorous attention to detail
In return we offer:
- 25 days holidays with additional time off between Christmas and New Year
- Generous pension scheme (employer’s contribution currently up to 18%)
- Training and development opportunities for staff at all levels
- Bus pass discount scheme
- Access to employee discount platform
- Subsidised on-site canteen
- Free on-site parking
- Campus location in beautiful countryside with social and sports clubs open to staff
Closing date: 15th July 2022 at 09:00am