Here at the world-famous and internationally respected Wellcome Sanger Institute, we have an exciting opportunity for a highly experienced Senior Scientific Manager to join the DNA Pipelines Research and Development (DNAP R&D) team.
This is a new role, due to an acceleration in exciting, scientific growth at the Institute, and will focus on supporting the delivery of a wealth of R&D projects through the leadership of others.
About the role:
As a Senior Scientific Manager in the DNAP R&D team, your role will be to:
- Manage a team of experienced and independent scientists to deliver project work for the development and improvement of existing and novel sample preparation and nucleic acid sequencing technologies.
- Have full line management responsibility for a team of experienced staff scientists, including the full employee lifecycle from recruitment to professional development.
- You will work with the Head of Technical Development, contributing to strategic thinking, project prioritisation, and resource allocation.
- You will initiate and manage collaborations with members of scientific programmes and operational teams to ensure that the correct workflows are being delivered to agreed schedules and specifications.
An experienced manager of people with a track record in initiating concepts and project-managing them through to completion, within agreed budget constraints, timescales and quality standards. You will have excellent people skills and strong organisational and planning skills.
About the team:
The team’s work involves the design of methods that are suitable for deployment in a high-throughput format, working in collaboration with operational teams to ensure their efficient transition into a production environment.
DNA Pipelines R&D team sits within Scientific Operations, which supports the research of all scientists at the Wellcome Sanger Institute in their generation and use of genomic data to understand the underlying biology of health, disease and evolution. From cancer to the individual cells that make up a human body, and from parasitic worms to endangered species, our DNA sequencing teams employ specialist knowledge to apply a range of DNA sequencing technologies.
The DNA Pipelines R&D group is the entry point for new technologies to the Institute, focussed particularly on high-throughput nucleic acid sequencing chemistries and instrumentation. The team assesses and develops new methods and procedures to maximise the efficiency, quality and throughput of all incoming machinery for the benefit all Institute researchers.
- BSc. in a biological science or equivalent experience
- Leadership skills with experience of delivering change programmes
- Strong people management skills
- Proven track record in managing, mentoring and developing others to support independent working and ownership
- Proven demonstrable experience of working in a technical development environment
- Excellent communication skills, across a broad range of stakeholders
- A flexible and service-oriented attitude
- Proven ability to deliver quality solutions within fixed timelines
- Ability to understand and apply new concepts quickly
- Experience of dealing with rapidly changing priorities
- Highly developed problem-solving skills
- Experience of using project management tools for successful project delivery
- Experience of large-scale production pipelines.
- Good knowledge & understanding of molecular biology & DNA Sequencing technologies.
Please apply with your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role using the criteria set out above and in the job description.