Choose your Reaction!
Mesmerising footage of the wreck of a US warship that sank during World War One has been released.Divers have explored the remains of USS Jacob Jones for the first time, 105 years after it went down off the Cornish coast.A total of 66 servicemen were lost after the vessel was torpedoed by a German submarine, on 6 December 1917. Plymouth diver Dom Robinson, who was part of Team Darkstar, said the find was "every diver's dream".The USS Jacob Jones, was found more than 100m under the water on 11 August with some of its features still intact.The ship's torpedo tubes, bell and boilers are clearly visible in the footage.Mr Robinson said the team, which spent more than a year planning the trip, were in talks with the US embassy about what happens next."The discovery of the USS Jacob Jones and the remains of those who lost their lives onboard more than a century ago is truly at the heart of the American Battle Monuments Commission's charge to honour the memories of our missing and to keep their legacies alive," a spokeswoman for the American Battle Monuments Commission said."Even after more than 100 years, we never forget the sacrifices that were made in the name of freedom." Video journalist: Rebecca Ricks
Published1 hour agoSharecloseShare pageCopy linkAbout sharingImage source, GMPParents have been warned to be "extra vigilant with their children" after a six-year-old girl was abducted and sexually assaulted in Greater Manchester, with police appealing for help to find a man seen on CCTV images.Officers believe the girl, who they previously said was seven, was abducted by a man in Warne Avenue, Droylsden at about 16:00 BST on Wednesday. The child was led down a path towards a football field and assaulted.She then found her own way to a park.The girl was reunited with her family a short time later, police said, and was receiving support from specialist officers.Speaking at a special press conference, Det Supt Richard Hunt said the offender had "obviously grabbed a child and, what I would say to members of the public, is that they need to be extra vigilant"."A child was playing in this area and a chap who was hanging around has taken a child and thankfully within a few minutes we've got her back.'Hanging around'"Parents need to consider the circumstances of what I have mentioned and I would suggest they need to be extra vigilant with their children whilst we progress this as quickly as possible."He said the offender appeared to "have been hanging around the area prior to the offence and, afterwards, he made his way through the paths and streets of the Snipe Estate possibly in the direction of Openshaw". Det Supt Hunt said CCTV footage had already been released by officers of a man they would like to speak with: "You will have seen footage in the press and if you haven't, can I please ask you to look at these images to try and identify the person, who we are keen to speak to."He urged members of the public to check their CCTV, dashcam and doorbell footage for video that might assist the investigation, and asked them not to speculate on social media.A 35-year-old man previously arrested in connection with the incident has been released with no further investigation.Why not follow BBC North West on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram? You can also send story ideas to [email protected] Internet LinksGreater Manchester PoliceThe BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Published13 minutes agoSharecloseShare pageCopy linkAbout sharingImage source, Hollie DanceThe mother of Archie Battersbee, who died when his life support was withdrawn, has said she felt "backed into a corner by the system". The 12-year-old, from Southend, Essex, died on 6 August following a legal battle between his parents and doctors.Hollie Dance said she had asked for a meeting with the health secretary to discuss the role of the NHS and High Court in cases similar to Archie's. The Department of Health and Social Care said it had received the request. A spokesman said: "The department was in the process of commissioning a review into the causes of disagreement in the care of critically ill children as set out in the Health and Care Act 2022."He added the department would respond to Ms Dance's letter "in the coming days".Reflecting on her experience, Ms Dance, 46, said she felt like she was on an "emotional rollercoaster". She believes her son might have been taking part in an online challenge when she found him unconscious at the family home on 7 April. Doctors at the Royal London Hospital, in Whitechapel, believed it was "highly likely" Archie was brain stem dead and took the case to court, asking judges to decide what was in Archie's best interests. However, Ms Dance has said she did not feel like her son was given enough of a chance to recover. She said communication with Barts NHS Health Trust, which runs the hospital, "broke down from the start" after it took the case to court. "I feel we were stripped of all our rights and backed into a corner by the system and, I've explained before, it felt like we were on trial," she said.Image source, PA Media"Change is needed. As if it's not a traumatic time enough, you're faced with fighting the system... I wasn't prepared to do that, we were backed into a corner. It was the hospital that took us to court, not the other way round."She added: "It was hard, stressful and unnecessary, we need change."The hospital has previously said "treatment was withdrawn in line with court rulings about his best interests". Hundreds attend vigil for Archie BattersbeeArchie Battersbee 'fought until the end', says mumHow did Archie Battersbee's case end up in court?Several court hearings were held over a four-month period.Judges sided with the hospital, with Mr Justice Hayden of the High Court's family division saying continuing treatment was "futile" given the medical evidence. The family had asked the courts to grant permission for them to move Archie to a hospice for his final days so they did not have to say goodbye in a busy hospital environment but their application was refused.Doctors warned he was too unstable to move by ambulance and it would "hasten premature deterioration".Ms Dance said Archie was surrounded by family and friends when he died but described his last moments in the hospital as "awful".But she said she had no regrets about taking on the legal battles. Image source, Hollie DanceShe said: "He was brilliant, I'm so honoured to be his mum. They were 12 of the best years of my life with that little boy."If I had to go through it again, I would still fight equally as hard for Archie or any of my children. It was awful, there was so much stress on everyone involved, it's heart breaking.""It drained me, I was anxious all the time. I felt exhausted, it was an emotional rollercoaster," she added. She said she had requested an urgent meeting with Health Secretary Steve Barclay to discuss the way the NHS and the Family Division of the High Court make decisions in end of life cases like Archie's. She has also called for a public inquiry. Image source, PA MediaIn the weeks since Archie died, the family has also experienced their first big milestones without him."It was my daughter's 21st birthday yesterday... no-one really feels in a celebrating mood," she said. "That was hard. We went to a restaurant we'd never been to without Archie but we're getting through it... just taking every day as it comes."Continuing to fight is one way she is trying to move forward after her son's death.She said: "I've got to have something positive out of this tragedy."I'm taking each hour as it comes. One minute I feel strong, the next it's flashbacks. Then I feel OK again and then numb - it's a constant rollercoaster of emotions." Timeline: How the story unfolded 7 April 2022 Archie is found unconscious by his mother after an incident at their home in Essex. He is taken to Southend Hospital. 8 April Archie is transferred to The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel where he has been treated ever since. 26 April The NHS trust that runs the Royal London starts High Court proceedings by asking for Archie to undergo brain stem testing. 13 May Mrs Justice Arbuthnot rules that brain stem testing should be carried out. 16 May Two specialists try to administer brain stem function tests, but they are unable to as Archie did not respond to a peripheral nerve stimulation test, a precursor to the brain stem test. 25 May A hearing is held to decide if further MRI scans should be conducted. Archie's parents did not consent on the basis that moving Archie could harm him. 27 May The court approves further MRI scans, which are carried out on 31 May. 6-8 June A final hearing is held to hear evidence on whether Archie's life-support treatment should continue. 13 June The High Court judge rules that Archie is "dead" based on MRI scan results and that treatment could be withdrawn. 20 June The family ask the Court of Appeal to reconsider the case. 29 June The Court of Appeal says that a new hearing to determine Archie's best interests should take place. 11 July A new hearing is held in the High Court with evidence given before Mr Justice Hayden. 15 July Mr Justice Hayden rules that life-support treatment should end, saying continuing it is "futile". 25 July Three Court of Appeal judges support the High Court ruling that treatment can end. 28 July The Supreme Court rules out intervening in the case and supports the Court of Appeal ruling. 29 July The family make an application to the United Nations. 30 July A UN Committee writes to the UK government asking for a delay in withdrawing treatment while they consider the case. 31 July The government asks for an urgent hearing to review the case. 1 August The Court of Appeal refuses to postpone withdrawal of treatment until the UN can hear the case. 2 August The Supreme Court refuse the family's application for permission to appeal the Court of Appeal ruling. 3 August European Court of Human Rights refuses an application from the family to postpone the withdrawal of Archie’s life support. 4 August Archie's parents make a legal application to move their son to a hospice for end of life care. 5 August A High Court judge rules that Archie cannot be moved to a hospice for withdrawal of treatment. 6 August Archie passes away at the Royal London Hospital after treatment is withdrawn in line with court rulings about his best interests. Members of his family are at his bedside. Show more Find BBC News: East of England on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. If you have a story suggestion email [email protected] on this storyArchie Battersbee's family call for investigation7 AugustHundreds attend vigil for Archie Battersbee3 days agoArchie Battersbee: 'He fought until the end'6 AugustHow did Archie Battersbee's case end up in court?6 AugustArchie family devastated as legal routes exhausted6 August